PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor Course
Are you a PADI Assistant Instructor or a certified scuba instructor with another organisation that wants to become one of the most sought-after instructors in the world? Then sign up for our PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI) Course.
The “second part” of the IDC takes the knowledge and skills already gained in the Assistant Course (or from another organisation) and adds to them — developing you into an all-round competent PADI Instructor.
This course includes a series of in-water and knowledge development workshops, as well as staff led presentations, leaving you with the capabilities to teach in real life — and not only pass the end exam.
In order to prepare for the OWSI course, you will need to complete portions of the IDC eLearning that you haven’t already completed for the PADI Assistant Instructor Course. If you are crossing over from another scuba organisation, you will need to purchase the IDC Crewpak and other assessments may be required (please email us for the most up-to-date information).
In order to be able to teach after the PADI Instructor Exam, you’ll need to be a certified Emergency First Response (EFR) Primary and Secondary Care Instructor (or equivalent). This course may be completed prior to the PADI OWSI Course — or after, if your schedule does not allow. However, you will not be placed into teaching status until this certification is achieved.
One key point that you will learn in the PADI IDC is the benefit of your students continuing their education and just because you have qualified as a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor, there is no need to stop learning. We offer a whole range of PADI Instructor Speciality Courses that can help you teach more of what you love — and count towards your PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer (MSDT) instructor certification.
What Duties Can a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor Fulfil after Certification?
Once you have completed the PADI Instructor Exam, you will be able to start teaching in a matter of days. Let’s have a look at which courses you will be able to conduct:
- PADI Discover Scuba, Bubblemaker and Seal Team programs.
- PADI Scuba Diver and Open Water Courses.
- PADI Advanced Open Water Courses and Adventure Diver.
- PADI Rescue Diver Courses.
- PADI Divemaster Courses.
Peak Performance Buoyancy, Project AWARE and Coral Reef Conservation Specialty Courses.
PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor Course Prerequisites
The IE prerequisites have also been included below, so that as soon as you complete the IDC, you will be eligible to join an IE and start teaching as soon as possible.
- Minimum age: 18 years old.
- Certified diver for at least 6 months.
- Proof of 100 logged dives — with experience of deep diving, night diving and underwater navigation.
- Hold a PADI Divemaster certification (or equivalent from another dive training organisation).
- Hold fit-to-dive medical that has been signed by a physician within the last 6 months.
- Be an in status certified in Emergency First Response Primary and Secondary Care Instructor (or equivalent from another agency).
- Provide documentation for any non PADI certifications as required — entry level, advanced, rescue and leadership level.
PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor Required Materials
You will need to have your PADI library and materials to hand as well as your IDC eLearning Crewpak when you attend your PADI OWSI Course. For the most up-to-date library requirements, please email us.
PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor Course £495
PADI Instructor Application Fee (payable directly to PADI): £183.60
PADI Instructor Examination Fee (payable directly to PADI): £POR
IDC Crewpack not included
Kindly note that the above prices are subject to change and include 20% VAT