PADI Staff Instructor Course
Remember when you completed your PADI Open Water Course and you had a helpful PADI Divemaster that answered any questions that you were too shy to ask your PADI Instructor? Or perhaps they were able to take some time and practice some of the skills with you that were challenging at the time. The PADI Staff Instructor (IDCS) Course is similar. It prepares you to assist PADI Course Directors and candidates during IDCs, as well as enabling you to teach PADI Assistant Instructor Courses independently.
This is also a fantastic course for certified MSDTs who completed their own PADI Instructor Development Course a little while ago. Not only will you be refreshed on the whole PADI system but you will possibly learn new ways of instructing — which will inspire you to teach even more.
The first step of this course is to complete a pre-assessment with our PADI Course Director of your instructor skills — dive theory, knowledge development techniques and role-model dive skills. After that, you will run through the following presentations together:
- Instructor curriculum, standards and procedures.
- How to conduct and organise the PADI Assistant Instructor course.
- The psychology of counselling and evaluation.
- Evaluating teaching presentations — knowledge development, confined and open water.
Once you have completed these sessions (usually a few days before an IDC starts), you’ll then get the chance to audit a full IDC — and to put into practice everything you’ve learnt.
If you do not have enough time available to join a full IDC, we do offer the PADI IDCS as a stand-alone course. Please email us for further information.
What Duties Can a PADI Staff Instructor Fulfil after Certification?
Once you have completed the PADI Staff Instructor course, you will be able to fulfil the following duties:
- Independently teach and certify PADI Assistant Instructors at a PADI Five Star Center
- Conduct portions of an IDC whilst under the supervision of a PADI Course Director.
- Evaluate IDC candidate knowledge development and in-water teaching presentations.
- Act as a mentor and counsellor to IDC and IDCS candidates.
- Assist with instructor continuing education courses.
- Attend IE orientation and closing sessions — and show your support to IDC candidates.
PADI Staff Instructor Course Required Materials
To start the PADI IDCS course you will need to have the following materials:
- All materials required for IDC candidates.
- PADI Course Director Manual.
- Knowledge Development Evaluation Form.
- Evaluation slates for confined and open water.
Kindly note that the PADI Course Director Manual, Knowledge Development Evaluation Form and Evaluation slates for confined and open water can be purchased as part of our IDCS Crewpak.
PADI IDC Staff Course £495
PADI IDCS Application Fee (payable directly to PADI): £ 103.20
IDC Staff Crewpak not included
Kindly note that the above prices are subject to change and include 20% VAT