PADI Assistant Instructor Course
Becoming a PADI Assistant Instructor is the first step on the PADI Instructor ladder. Whilst the full IDC (Instructor Development Course) usually incorporates both the OWSI (Open Water Scuba Instructor) and AI (Assistant Instructor) portions, it is possible to separate the two courses.
If time is of the essence and you simply don’t have enough to complete the IDC in one continuous go, the AI gives you another option. This is also a great course if you are unsure about taking the step from PADI Divemaster to Instructor — which for some can seem like a big jump.
Through a mixture of staff led presentations, classroom and in water workshops, you will develop the knowledge and skills you already gained on the Divemaster course. The AI course is supported by PADI’s Digital Crewpak — allowing you to complete the majority of the theory from the comfort of your own home at your own pace. But don’t worry, your PADI Course Director will be available for consultation if you have any questions as you go.
What Duties Can a PADI Assistant Instructor Fulfil after Certification?
Beyond the responsibilities acquired in the PADI Divemaster Course. Amongst other duties, an AI can also:
- Present academic portions for PADI courses under a PADI Instructor’s indirect supervision.
- Initially present skills in confined water sessions under direct supervision of a PADI Instructor.
- Conduct Bubblemaker courses independently.
- Independently teach a variety of non-diving Specialty courses.
PADI Assistant Instructor Course Prerequisites
- Minimum age: 18 years old.
- Certified diver for at least 6 months.
- Proof of 60 logged dives — with experience of deep diving, night diving and underwater navigation.
- Hold a PADI Divemaster certification (or equivalent from another dive training organisation).
- Hold fit-to-dive medical that has been signed by a physician within the last 6 months.
- Be certified in Emergency First Response Primary and Secondary Care (or equivalent) within the last 24 months.
- Provide documentation for any non PADI certifications as required — entry level, advanced, rescue and leadership level.
PADI Assistant Instructor Required Materials
Once you decide to sign up for the AI course, you will need to make sure that you have all the necessary materials ready — so that you are ready to teach upon certification. You will also need to purchase the IDC eLearning Crewpak so that we may register you for the course. Email us for the most up-to-date list of required resources.
PADI Assistant Instructor Course £450
PADI Assistant Instructor Application Fee (payable directly to PADI): £78
IDC Crewpak not included
Kindly note that the above prices are subject to change and include 20% VA